Score! Canon Super Sure Shot AF35ML and a Konica AF3!


The camera show put on by the Western Canada Photographic Historical Association is one of my favourite days of the year. So thanks to Johan for letting me know this Sunday that I hadn't missed it.

The top camera is quite a find: the Canon Sure Shot AF35ML aka "something, something" Autoboy.

In many ways a typical early point and shoot, the camera also boasts a hard to beat 40mm f1.9. This make it one of the fastest fixed lens cameras ever produced.

There is an excellent description of the Autoboy in a 1988 issue of Popular Photography. There it was already considered a vintage classic though it had only hit the market seven years before.

Here are some of the salient features :

- 3 feet to infinity focus
-f1.9 to f18
- five-element lens, oooohhh
-1/4 sec to 1/500 sec shutter
- continuous shooting, so keep a light finger on the release

For more info visit Canon's great history site. Matt's Classic Cameras has always done a fine job breaking it down to the bullet info. The manual is online at Butkus's essential collection.

The very fine film camera blogger Zeno Felkl has more to say about the Konica AF3. I've admired his stash of odd Konica for years and now I have an AF3.

Comments

Zeno Felkl said…
Congratulations to these two great cameras! After some months of shooting digital I´m on my way back into film and these two will surely be used again in the near future!
Have fun!
Wayne Young said…
The Canon AF35ML is certainly one of the best point and shoot cameras of its age and one of my favorites. Super build quality and great picture quality. A few years ago I was fortunate to run across one of the later ones that goes to ISO 1000.
JJ Lee said…
Very noisy, but yeah. And YaY. I will develop it soon and post on it soon.
Anonymous said…
I'm looking for help on my Konica AF3.
I got one and the wind lever doesn't seem to be moving. Can you tell me what is wrong with it?
Thanks!
JJ Lee said…
Maybe you've reached the end of the film roll?

Sorry, there's also a release button.
Also, if the shutter hasn't been released, it won't lever forward.
Is there anything else you can tell me, Anonymous?

Popular Posts